Historic Wasson Building
This building was erected in 1878 by La Porte City’s founder, Dr. Jesse Wasson. Prior to the building's construction, the site contained a store room that was the first business in town. It was a multi-purpose facility, housing a doctor's office, post office, justice of the peace and basic mercantile.
The Wasson Building has served a number of purposes over the years. The Knights of Pythias Lodge No. 192 owned it as their headquarters from 1914 to 1972. It was the hub of many social events, including radio broadcasts of the Chicago Cubs, and dances held in the second-floor ballroom. The building was purchased in 2013 by David and Vi Neil. They restored it to its original grandeur, highlighting its native limestone construction and Italianate architectural influences.