top of page
La Porte City Town Hall and Fire Station
La Porte City's long history of protecting its citizens started with the formation of a bucket brigade in 1871. A bell summoned citizens to bring their buckets to fight fires. In those early years, the town’s volunteer fire department was praised as "one of the best-organized and most trustworthy in the state" — a tradition that continues today. The first firehouse was located on Chestnut Street until 1967, when the department moved to a new building on Main Street. The bricks now located in the front of the building are placed in honor of those La Porte City citizens who have chosen to serve our community as firefighters, police officers, EMTs and paramedics.
bottom of page