The Interurban Railway
City Hall originally was constructed as a depot for the Waterloo, Cedar Falls & Northern (WCF&N) Railway, an electric interurban system commonly called “The Cedar Valley Road.” In 1911, La Porte City was connected to this route, which eventually spanned from Waverly to Cedar Rapids. Up to 25 passenger and freight trains once passed through our town daily, with the tracks running down Main Street.
Daily rail service meant La Porte City citizens could receive a wider array of commercial goods; enjoy more cultural events; and even commute to work in other communities in the Cedar Valley. The well-planned system also connected the Cedar Valley Road to rail service that reached Chicago and beyond.